|View Issue Details|
|ID||Project||Category||View Status||Date Submitted||Last Update|
|0002652||OpenFOAM||Feature||public||2017-08-05 20:00||2017-08-06 22:30|
|Priority||normal||Severity||minor||Reproducibility||have not tried|
|Target Version||Fixed in Version|
|Summary||0002652: Feature idea: Function object to calculate boundary layer thickness|
|Description||It would be interesting to be able to see the distribution of boundary layer thickness over patches. Potential input specification|
velocityFraction 0.99; // use delta_99 criteria
patches (); // use all walls by default?
Is there an existing function object that does something similar, which could be easily adapted?
|Tags||No tags attached.|
|Can you contribute such a functionObject?|
|Sure, I can work on it. Any tips on a good functionObject to start with, or a snippet of existing code that interrogates a quantity marching normal to a face?|
@petebachant: If the layer is only as thick as the cells near the wall: https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-5.x/tree/master/src/functionObjects/field/yPlus
- Then take a look at how 'yPlus' is calculated on the turbulence models.
If the layer is larger than the cells, I know that 'boundaryFoam' works for a single column of cells: https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-5.x/tree/master/applications/solvers/incompressible/boundaryFoam
For a general approach... I don't remember anything that already does this, but the following come to mind:
- The kOmega, DES and IDDES turbulence models come to mind: https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-5.x/tree/master/src/TurbulenceModels/turbulenceModels/LES
- The utility 'applyBoundaryLayer': https://github.com/OpenFOAM/OpenFOAM-5.x/tree/master/applications/utilities/preProcessing/applyBoundaryLayer
- You should find a few adaptations of his utility on the CFD-Online forums.
- Anything that uses 'wall distance', e.g. see the report #968: https://bugs.openfoam.org/view.php?id=968
|Thanks for the tips Bruno!|
|2017-08-05 20:00||petebachant||New Issue|
|2017-08-05 20:30||henry||Note Added: 0008519|
|2017-08-05 22:21||petebachant||Note Added: 0008520|
|2017-08-05 22:34||wyldckat||Note Added: 0008521|
|2017-08-05 23:24||petebachant||Note Added: 0008522|